Here are the top 10 reasons why I love being a Jivamukti Yoga Teacher:
1. I get to talk about compassion for all beings and I get paid for it!
2. My creativity is challenged by how to interpret the focus of the month. From writing the dharma talk to creating a sequence that goes with it, I am always kept on my toes.
3. I learn so much because I need to learn how to teach it, whether it's sacred geometry, yoga sutras, sequencing, or how to get into a pose.
4. I get to push past my comfort zone. I no longer fear public speaking. I even sing/chant in class. The difficult things we need to talk about, oh yes, Jivamukti covers it, from meat-eating to religious traditions to sex to death to materialism, and I have to get over my need for approval and do my job.
5. I have grown to appreciate the role of music and a handpicked playlist in a class.
6. I get to share what I love and hopefully make others fall in love with it too- the ones who ask about Jivamukti Teacher Training do!
7. Being exposed to hope whenever a student tells me he or she is getting that compassion is not selective and yes, it must include animals. And every so often, a student saying he or she is turning vegan.
8. I get to witness students pushing past their fears and doing things for the first time, with courage that is not of reckless abandon but rather something that comes from self-trust and inner confidence.
9. I get to show students that they can work towards finding their Self, whether it's through progression of a pose or creating the space to just let emotions out and cry a much-needed cry.
10. When I give the savasana massage, I get to see in the student's vulnerability his or her wholeness. And I get a glimpse of what my teachers Sharon Gannon and David Life teach us: to see each student as a holy being.
Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu.